Youth Innovation Lab
The Youth Innovation Lab is a hands-on entrepreneurship program for students who are passionate about tackling wicked problems and changing the world. In this year-long after-school program, students in grades 7-12 will develop their idea into a fully-fledged business plan, pitch to a panel of investors, and begin implementing their venture.
What are the benefits?
Throughout the program, students will:
- Collaborate with peers to pitch and build a viable new business or service;
- Have access to a coach and mentors from the startup and technology community;
- Iterate through the design thinking process;
- Learn valuable business and communication skills including sales finance, marketing, how to engage customers, and more;
- Embark on field trips to innovation centres throughout Calgary;
- Build their professional networks with experts in Calgary’s startup community; and
- Be upskilled in the technology they need including 3D printing, app development, coding and other tech based on interest!
The program begins on October 24, 2018 and runs until June 28, 2019.
- Program duration: October – June
- Class instruction times: Wednesdays from 4:15-6:00 pm
- Open innovation hours: Monday-Thursday from 4:00-8:00 pm; Friday from 1:00-5:00 pm; Saturday from 2:00-5:00 pm
- Location: STEM Learning Lab Head Office (7101 5 St SE, Calgary)
While the official class time is on Wednesday afternoons, the lab is open after school from Monday-Saturday for students to work independently on their projects.
Application deadline: September 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM
First day of lab time: October 24, 2018